Monday, December 9, 2013

Lifehack -- How to Get Free Glasses

I lost my first $300 pair of glasses in my move from college back home. I've never found eye insurance to be a great return on investment. And in my senior year of college, my eye infection elevated to a quick trip to the emergency room the morning before the homecoming parade, ending my charade with contacts. 

Since then, I've leveraged my internet savvy and general curiosity to crack the code on the glasses industry. It is absolutely absurd to pay anything more than $50 for a pair of swagger, fabulous glasses. Sometimes, you can even get away with free glasses. Yes, free. 




I've been chased through a Trader Joe's parking lot, stopped at the mall, and just short of tackled to the ground over my glasses. Zenni Optical, Coastal, and Warby Parker all owe me a commission for the amount of shoppers I've sent their way. So, in an effort to pass along some hard (well, maybe not so hard...) earned wisdom, here are my pointers on cracking the glasses industry, frames and lenses included.

Warby Parker

My first foray into the world of online glasses began where all good stories begin, Warby Parker. I first hopped onto the Warby Parker bandwagon three years ago, and I have no intention of hopping off until the train reaches the end of the station or the wheels fall off. I've been to the store, the traveling Class Trip, and ordered online. Their quality is amazing, their morals incredible, and service phenomenal. If you don't have your prescription on hand, they will even contact your doctor for you. The only drawback : it does take quite a bit of time to receive your frames, and they only do single vision.

Quality: Excellent
Timeliness: Leaves something to be desired
Customer Service: Excellent
Price: Consistent, $95 for plastic, $145 for metal/ mixed 
Coupons: None that I know of, it's difficult to beat $95 a pair
Frames: The classic Crosby




SEE Eyewear

Warby Parker whet my whistle, and it was all madness from there. Glasses are no longer a mere necessity, but an accessory. While trolling around on Groupon one day, I decided to splurge on one of the glasses Groupons. A word of caution, most of these are kinda crappy. Take the time to read the Yelp reviews for whatever proprietor you intend to patronize. SEE Eyewear is well established. They've been adorning people's faces for years and know how to do it. The quality is outstanding, and, best of all, you can walk right in and try them on yourself. These also take quite a bit of time to come in, and the price point is high, unless you have a friend -- who found you a Groupon. Oh, yeah. That's me! 

Their inventory turns over frequently, which is great if you wish to remain unique. So, they don't carry the frames I have pictured below, but I've chosen a few I think are fabulous and posted a photo of my own.

Quality: Excellent
Timeliness: Leaves something to be desired
Customer Service: Somewhat satisfying. I've had a great experience and a not so great.
Price: A bit on the high side. $200 - $350 -- lenses included
Coupons: Groupon -- $200 for $45!








Zenni Optical

I allowed my glasses obsession to quell for a bit, until I ran into the home of the $6.95 glasses and it was game on. I bumped into Zenni Optical much the same way people have approached me about my glasses. I saw a guy wearing fabulous frames and asked him where they came from. BAM. Life changed. I mean, when it's $6.95 for lenses and frames, who cares if some hits are a miss? Their inventory is enormous. The largest inventory of frames I've seen. Some of them are a bit, um, wonky, others great classics at good prices. If you're looking to branch out a bit without investing a ton, here's your place. I've selected a few frames I think are just fabulous. 

Quality: Good, not excellent
Timeliness: Excellent -- ships within a few days and they are at your door in less than 2 weeks
Customer Service: Totally tolerable. I've never had any issues.
Price: Incredible. Options range from $6.95 to $50 -- no gimmicks 






Coastal

Here comes my favorite, by far. Facebook finally picked up on the fact that I have an issue with glasses and started taking advantage of my weakness. Little did they know I can work a system like a line mechanic. My first "Free Glasses" ad came in January. I was incredibly suspicious, but I figured, if my credit card gets stolen from a Facebook scam, I can just file it with my bank, right? Right. So, proceed. Coastal turned out to be one of my best life choices. I received my glasses for straight up free. No ifs ands or buts about it. Now, you do have a narrow pool from which to choose, but I've hit them up twice and have been immensely pleased with both of my selections. They're below and are by far my favorite. 

Quality: Excellent
Timeliness: Incredible. Truly incredible. You have your frames in hand less than 9 days from when you order.
Customer Service: 24/7 and absolutely incredible. I needed to return a pair (the bridge was far too narrow) and they were able to email me a return receipt instantly.
Price: Even the prices on some of their swagger frames are pretty great. They even have discounted Ray Bans, and with this customer service and all the coupons flying around their site, I'd totally buy a "full price" pair. 
Coupon: FIRSTPAIRFREE





Retro Eyeworks

Facebook decided to continue their attack on my fortitude by pushing yet another offer of free glasses my way. Retro Eyeworks has an extensive selection of glasses, including these FABULOUS wood glasses. The prices are a little steep, but, again, you have the option of FREE glasses! This particular selection of free glasses is very narrow, but still promising. I recently ordered the pair below and am anxiously awaiting their arrival. I've added another promising pair, as well. 

Coupon: FirstFreeFB




Glasses Shop

I finally resorted to shopping for glasses through Google. I obviously don't have enough choices already. These little beauties popped up. I'm not tremendously familiar with their selection outside of the free options, but I think I found another diamond in the rough with the pair below. Again, not all on their site are free, but the free selection is good enough for me!

I haven't received these guys either, but I will update upon receipt.

Coupon: FIRSTFREE




Where have you found fabulous frames?


4 comments:

  1. Fabulousness embodied. You will be the queen of blogs before you know it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first blog comment from Stephanie Devine!!! I'm so honored. You are the best. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ordered my first pair of glasses for free.... I am a little nervous but excited. Thanks for the great blog post, I have paid $400 ish for the last two paris of glasses, if this is for real I might name my first born after you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this! just checked out the links yesterday and there are some great options. i am in need of new glasses, so this is perfect timing. if you don't mind, i am going to give add this to my weekly post about awesome finds on my blog tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete